Date: 9/25/18 4:53 pm
From: DAVID KOCH <davilene...>
Subject: Finches, hummingbirds, sparrows, Koch property, Northampton County
Purple finches are here in numbers ranging at times 15+ together. Most are young or females but adult males are also present, They've even taken to eating nyjer seed with the goldfinches. Ruby-throated hummingbird activity is still decent with four or five chasing each other around from flowers to feeders then back to flowers. Today I saw the first evidence of the annual sparrow putdown in our fields. Along with multiple songs and fields and a few Savannahs, the first Lincoln's I've seen this month and several swamps responded to my calls during a lull in the heavy rain.  In the same sorghum/old cornstalks patch near the house 5 indigo buntings also appeared along with 4 common yellowthroats. A rose-breasted grosbeak made a quick stop in the backyard, as did a scarlet tanager.  Early yesterday morning at 9:15 am as the clouds cleared several small kettles of broadwings rose up in the valley, and they wasted no time moving through as their migration is winding down.
  Arlene Koch Easton, PA Northampton County <davilene...>

Join us on Facebook!