Date: 9/25/18 3:52 pm
From: Dan Small <small.m.dan...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Banded Caspian Terns at Kent Narrows, QA
All,

There has been a growing Caspian Tern and gull roost at the marina at Kent Narrows just south of the visitor center and the parking area for Ferry Point Park. If you climb the spiral stair case at the visitor center you get a great vantage to view the terns and gulls from. This may be a great place to check throughout the winter for unusual gulls (come on Glaucous and Black-headed!).

So far this summer there has been the usual gulls, plus a 1st cycle Lesser Black-backed Gull, and lots of Caspian Terns. This past Sunday I counted 153 roosting Caspian Terns.

On the 8/26/2018 John Hubbell and I found one CATE with a color field readable band and on 09/23/2018 I found another four banded CATEs, but only two had field readable bands. Birds K02 and K31 (yellow band with black letters/numbers) were both banded on 06-20-2016 as young birds near Hounsfield in Jefferson County, NY at the nesting colony when they still could not fly. The third bird, AEN (white band with black letters) was banded on 07-02-2008 as a young bird incapable of flight on Gull Island on Lake Ontario, Canada.

I think it is pretty cool that birds from far away breeding grounds are stopping over during migration all together at the narrows, let's hope the owners of the marina don't mind the raucous noise and the smell!

Dan Small
Chestertown, MD