Date: 9/25/18 2:01 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (25 Sep 2018) 36 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Gerry Teig

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (6): Kathleen Pileggi, Michelle & Christian Scheive, Gerry Teig,
Jim Balint
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Cloudy w/ Rain (100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 1,200-8,900 ft., Visibility -
10-6 miles, Temps 65 - 76F, Winds ESE @ 10 - 15 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
1-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (4) and Turkey Vultures (21).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-1; 4 yr.-0; adult-0
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ I drove through the rain to Bucktoe early this morning with
visions of thermals, updrafts, kettles of hawks swirling skyward, dancing
in my head. Yet there has been so little of that great stuff thus far this
fall. It won’t be today, either. I descended on Giant for ice, finding
Lauren absent. Perhaps I won’t receive as frigid a reception without my
“Ice Princess’s” presence. I arrived on site with a LARGE BAG of ice to
find a Cooper’s Hawk on one of our picnic tables. Well, at least there
will be one hawk this soggy day! There were several Rose-breasted
Grosbeaks about today, some singing. About WHAT, I have no idea. Just
singing in the rain, I guess. One of my favorite families was out, in part
– Michelle & Christian. It was nice to see you guys! And Christian
spotted a Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Palm Warblers and a Brown Thrasher for
which he received “full-partial credit.” Gerry arrived and we enjoyed the
Thrasher taking a bath in our extravagant “water feature” for which we
spared no expense. He was…well, thrashing about. At 1:30 this dreary day,
a Barred Owl hooted about 5 times. It began to pour. Just then, a
spectacular Merlin swooped in caught a passerine and flew off. It happened
right near the feeders here. WOW!
<BR><BR>
We identified 46 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, Broad-winged
Hawk, American Kestrel, Merlin, Barred Owl, Palm Warbler, Rose-breasted
Grosbeak, Purple Finch, and Bobolink. Nothing new for this year’s “hawk
watch area” species list was seen today. [113 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Barred Owl, Palm Warbler, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Purple Finch, and
Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (7): Monarch - 15, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Orange Sulphur, Red-spotted
Purple, Red Admiral. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags,
Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (1): Meadow
Vole.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 2.1; Steps: 4,930; Floors: 1.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 46; this season: 113
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks some better, but with southerly winds.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek