Date: 9/25/18 5:45 am
From: Joseph C. Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: FELLOWSHIP OF THE ERYNGII
Fellowship of the Eryngii = Eryngium Leavenworthii, strange and interesting -- aka “purple pineapple” – in bloom at The Nature Conservancy’s Tallgrass Prairie Preserve in the Osage Hills (flint hills) of northeastern Oklahoma. Each year at this time, when the Harley rally -- called Bikes, Blues, and Barbecue takes over northwest Arkansas -- some birders escape to the Tallgrass, where lives a fascinating plant, E. Leavenworthii (close relative of our Rattlesnake Master) and home to a fascinating and complex ecosystem that includes bison, many grassland and crosstimber woodland bird species, lots of interesting botany, and often mass migration of Monarch butterflies. I’m escaping Wednesday morning and won’t return until Sunday afternoon. Here is the so-called “schedule” if interested: meet in the parking lot of coffee shop at Hampton Inn in Bartlesville by 7 AM for semi-organized drive to Preserve (Thursday, Friday, Saturday). And/or, meet at Tallgrass headquarters on the Preserve around noon (Thursday, Friday, Saturday). Of course, there is absolutely no need to hook up with the group, either. Most of this is slow-drive/stop & look on graded county roads and possible short hike near Preserve HQ. This is not an organized event. There are no leaders. Here’s a link to an eBird bar chart that will provide some info about what to expect in late September (and all year):
https://ebird.org/barchart?byr=1900&eyr=2018&bmo=1&emo=12&r=L275551,L1152555,L2323575
I have a separate list pulled out of my field notes for this late September trip starting in 2012. If you’d like a copy of this, email me off list today. As our friend Kim Smith would say, "Be there or be square." Just kidding. I know some of you are out in the garage right now, polishing your Harley. Harley-Davidson Inc and Fayetteville Chamber of Commerce thank you very much, but you'll miss Fellowship of the Eryngii.

Join us on Facebook!