Date: 9/24/18 6:58 pm
From: Jay V Huner <jvh0660...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Birds are where you find them - Avocets and Flycatchers in Rapides Parish
Was going home from Alexandria, LA this morning after a lack luster bird walk around Industrial Street while waiting for my truck to get serviced and was going west on LA 28 W. I got to the intersection of LA 28 and Vandenberg and looked north at the large borrow pit next to the sports complex and thought I saw several American Avocets. So, I made the "block" and sure enough, there were 4 American Avocets in the SW corner of the large rectangular pond. Second time I've recorded avocets in Rapides Parish in 15 years. Checklist below.

Continued west and turned north on Robinson Road and encountered a couple of Scissor-tailed Flycatcher on a power line. Although the STFCs nest in that area, haven't seen any there is at least a month and a half. Well, a friend posted images of STFCs on the Loose Alliance.... Facebook Page and tells me that she lives near the site and has had at least 10 flycatchers have been in her yard for several days now.

Jay Huner

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48719195

Join us on Facebook!