Date: 9/24/18 6:22 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Re: [boo] Re: Not a birder anymore
Jay and all,

I don't really have time to respond in full because I have other
involvements at the moment. I'm getting a lot of e-mails and even one
phone call today, most of them supportive but some who want to argue
with me, on grounds similar to what you've laid out below.

The big-tent idea is great but I think all of us who've been in birding
circles know what it means when a birder says, "So-and-so isn't really a
birder." We know which kind of accomplishments get celebrated and held
up as examples that others should aspire to.

There are other words for all of these other activities that you see as
part of birding. Naturalist. Hiker. Explorer. Amateur ornithologist.
Mentor. Teacher. Student. Conservationist.

I always thought "birdwatcher" was a pretty good word for what I like to
do, in relation to birds. It's a good word that's been around for a long
time.

But a few decades ago some people coined (or adapted) the word "birder"
for what they saw as a more active and, dare I say, more macho pursuit.
Birdwatchers were eccentric, usually older people with funny hats who
belonged to "societies." Birders were (usually) guys willing to jog up
trails before dawn with headlamps and drive fast all day so they could
set a "Big Day" record. That's all fine, it's just not something that I
identify with or even want to be identified with.

The word "conservationist" is a much bigger tent and it would be great
if more "real birders" want to be under that tent. We could be
celebrating people like Dennis Vroman who has banded more birds or Dave
Lauten and Kathy Castelein who have found and helped to protect more
Snowy Plover nests than anyone else in Oregon. We could be celebrating
the folks who show up at legislative hearings in Salem, trying to get
stable funding for non-game habitat work by ODFW. We could maybe even
consider not bitching or telling people to "take it to BOO" at the
slightest whiff of a call for political involvement.

About BOO, I think a lot of birders don't even know it exists, or else
they think it's just for comments related to the Malheur NWR occupation
by the Bundy Boyz. There are only a few "elite" Oregon birders who ever
contribute or comment. Several have admitted to me that they're not even
signed up and they never look at it.

Finally, my apologies to the many people who've written to me and I
haven't responded to yet. I'm really busy right now with some other
involvements, alongside of my regular work. Some of you know what I'm
talking about but even if OBOL rules permitted it, I wouldn't want to
talk about it in such a wide-open forum. I do intend to get back to
everyone with a personal response and my e-mail inbox is full of red
dots. But it might take a while.

Happy birdwatching,
Joel

On Mon, 2018-09-24 at 14:55 -0700, Jay Withgott wrote:

> Joel and all —
>

> I’m unaware of what specifically may have precipitated your initial
> posting, Joel, but I, for one, have always valued your perspective and
> your contributions on OBOL, so I certainly hope you’ll remain in our
> online community! I also, like you, very much wish that more birders
> would devote greater time and effort to help conserve the birds we all
> enjoy — this is sorely needed. However, I think the wording of your
> message sets up a false dichotomy by equating the word “birder” — a
> broad term rich and deep with meaning(s) — with narrower conceptions
> like “lister” or “chaser”. Although many of us enjoy chasing rarities
> and/or building lists, this is hardly the only, or even primary,
> motivation for most birders I know. I think all of us — including the
> most hardcore chasers — are motivated by some or all of the
> following:
>

> * getting outdoors to enjoy natural surroundings
> * exploring new areas
> * recreating with friends who enjoy the same pastime
> * learning about bird behavior, distribution, and abundance
> * building field skills and the ability to predict bird occurrence
> based on knowledge of habitat and seasonality
> * leading field trips and teaching others about birds and nature
> * writing, illustrating, speaking, or otherwise communicating the
> wonders of birds and nature to others
> * researching and publishing on aspects of field ornithology that
> advance our scientific understanding of birds
> * enjoying the simple (or not-so-simple) act of observing birds
>

> Every individual has his or her own skills, interests, priorities, and
> constraints, so each of us will pursue different mixes of these
> approaches. There many ways to be a “birder," and I think we’re all
> best served if we retain a big-tent meaning for this term. There is
> nothing black-and-white about how one pursues interests in birds. One
> can be a lister AND a conservationist; a chaser AND a restorationist;
> a teacher AND a student; etc., etc. I predict that anyone attending
> the upcoming OBA meeting will witness a full and rich mix of diverse
> approaches to birding within and among the attendees.
>

> Joel, I know you know all this already, but I feel it worthwhile to
> put in writing for the sake of the many people on this listserv who
> may be newer to the community. This is because I think it’s important
> to recognize that the nature of communication on listservs such as
> OBOL tends to heighten the perception of rarity-chasing as a component
> of birding. The rules, norms, and expectations for posting messages on
> a listserv like OBOL tend to constrict and weed out the majority of
> what each of us might think, feel, experience, and wish to discuss
> with others from a day out birding. Instead they urge us to be concise
> in our communication and to focus our reports on the surprising
> occurrences, which are going to include the rare species and
> [...]

Join us on Facebook!