Date: 9/24/18 2:53 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (24 Sep 2018) 210 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Gerry Teig, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (4): Jim Balint, Kathleen Pileggi, Gerry Teig
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Fog, Cloudy w/ Rain (100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 1,100-2,100 ft.,
Visibility - 0-10 miles, Temps 58 - 63F, Winds ENE @ 5 - 15 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
3-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (68) and Turkey Vultures (79).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ Another day of rain awaits me, with a couple more yet to
follow. How can this be? A fall chill had gripped the air, too. THAT, I
love. Give me “sweater weather” any day. I still feel like there are very
many Broad-wings yet to pass, but will we see them? As my field brew
was…err, brewing, a flock of 30 Canada Geese made their way over. These
were local birds, low and heading east, but migrating flocks are being seen
over Bucktoe now. I love this season; that spectacle. Wait – enough of
waxing poetically! You’re right – it’s time for a quick walk over to
“Warbler Meadow” - tis the season for Connecticut Warbler and in a bit,
Orange-crowned Warbler. I found the meadow alive with migrants, among them
female Black-throated Blue Warbler, Redstarts, Chestnut-sided Warbler,
Black-throated Green Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, Northern Parula, numerous
Indigo Buntings, several Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Warbling Vireo, and
Red-eyed-Vireos. Right in the middle of all this [and right at the TOP of
my target list] was an immature CONNECTICUT WARBLER [my FOY] low to the
ground. That suddenly made it all worthwhile. A Sharp-shinned Hawk flew
by at least preventing another shutout in migrating hawks. Impressive in
its own way, a major flight of Blue Jays has begun. We are getting
hundreds of them moving south by the watch. Hundreds passed over.
<BR><BR>
Around 11am, it stopped raining. A bedraggled Osprey came and rested on
“Merlin Snag.” It looked as though a fire hose had been trained on it. A
few Broad-winged Hawks started drifting very low overhead, having just
gotten to the air. Soon, all Hell broke loose. No big kettles, certainly,
but steady and low movement, as there were no thermals to climb into. It
was amazing considering the conditions. Boy, did I misread today - it was
fun! Around 1:30pm, it tapered off. But for a day where I could just see
a watcher cancelling out and staying home, there was a lot of birds and
fine variety. Kathleen came out and caught a lot of the action.
<BR><BR>
We identified 59 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Harrier, Osprey, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered
Hawk, Broad-winged Hawk, American Kestrel, Merlin, Double-crested
Cormorant, CONNECTICUT WARBLER, Black-throated Blue Warbler, American
Redstart, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, Magnolia
Warbler, Northern Parula, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Warbling Vireo, Purple
Finch, and Bobolink. New for this year’s “hawk watch area” species list
was CONNECTICUT WARBLER and Black-throated Blue Warbler, . [113 species
for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Double-crested Cormorant, CONNECTICUT WARBLER, Black-throated Blue Warbler,
American Redstart, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler,
Magnolia Warbler, Northern Parula, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Warbling Vireo,
Purple Finch, and Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (6): Monarch - 35, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Orange Sulphur, Red-spotted
Purple. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted
Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail,
Meadow Vole.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 3.38; Steps: 7,438; Floors: 16.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 59; this season: 113
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):”
Black-throated Blue Warbler, CONNECTICUT WARBLER.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a cloudy mess with rin later in afternoon. A
washout? I thought today was to be that, but it was anything but!
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek