Date: 9/24/18 10:21 am
From: B.G. Sloan <bgsloan3...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Somerset County Sandhill Crane sites (today)
Visited the sites today. And I've been reminded not to expect
Sandhills there until November...

* Randolph Road site is NOT planted in corn. Either it's really weedy
beans or nothing was planted this year. Ted Chase says the site is
slated to become an Amazon warehouse. :-( That area has become
really developed over the past few years. Progress?

* Two large cornfields on either side of Mettlers Road near (south
of?) where it intersects with Weston Road are planted in corn (not
harvested yet). This site has been good in years when Randolph Road
didn't have corn.

* Two cornfields on either side of Schoolhouse Road south(?) of the
intersection with Weston Canal Road. Not harvested yet. I've never
seen Sandhills there, but this site has potential because there's a
sidewalk on one side of Schoolhouse Road and you can park nearby in a
parking lot for the D&R canal. No need to illegally park on a shoulder
of a road.

Bernie Sloan
Highland Park

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>