Date: 9/24/18 10:02 am
From: Tim Carney <timmyc83...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Poplar Island 9/20
I surveyed Poplar Island on Thursday 9/20.

The highlight was a female-type SUMMER TANAGER which was a first site record. Migrant passerines were sparse otherwise. I keep waiting for a flight similar to the one on 9/23/2014 when I had a mini-fallout of warblers.

Shorebirds were plentiful, with the highlights being two Red Knots and 109 American Avocets. I also counted 66 White-rumped Sandpipers, which is more evidence of the "invasion" of this species this season.

A juvenile Common Gallinule walking around on the Cell 1A habitat island was nice to see.

Full eBird checklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48637632

Tim Carney
Parkville, MD