Date: 9/24/18 4:53 am
From: Anderson, Janet M. DCARO via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Broad-Winged Hawks and more and more Broad-Winged Hawks-Arlington, VA
September 22, 2018

Decided to go to my Parents house in North Arlington this past Saturday. Dad and I sat out in the backyard for 2 hours hoping to see some hawk migration. Seeing so many Blue Jays and Monarch Butterflies migrating, I hoped it would be a good day. Believe me, we were not at all disappointed. It all began around 4:00 pm and ended around 5:00. WOW, the Broad -Wingeds started streaming through. Huge kettles of Broad Winged hawks, along with Bald Eagles, Turkey Vultures, Black Vultures, Merlins, Kestrels, Sharp-shinneds, Ospreys and Red-Tails. A good estimate of the total of the Broad-Winged Hawks seen were close to a 1,000+ birds between 4:00 and 4:30pm. We have not seen this many Broad-Winged Hawks for years flying over Arlington.

Janet M. Anderson
City of Falls Church, VA