Date: 9/23/18 8:10 pm
From: Daniel Mason <millipede1977...>
Subject: Re: hawk watching
I've never done any kind of hawk watch and, at least in the handful of
years I've been a birder, I've never managed to catch hawks migrating...
until today. Was just doing yard work when one of my kids said "look at
all the birds in the sky..."† My first thought was "yeah, that's nice"
as I was in the middle of something and I figured she saw something
fairly ordinary.† But I looked up. There were at least 20 hawks flying
in that then kettled up above the yard for a bit. The lighting was
poor... My first thought was swainsons because they seemed dark but I
caught glimpses of heavy bands on the tails on some and perhaps a dark
trailing edge to the wing. I got a couple of crummy pictures that I
haven't looked at but I ended up deciding they were likely broad-winged.
I'm up here in Siloam Springs, Benton County, so they're on their way
down there.† I'll visit that park one of these days.
I haven't been birding as much as I'd like lately but enjoying what I
can from the yard.

Daniel Mason