Date: 9/23/18 6:47 pm
From: Jacque Brown <bluebird2...>
Subject: Lake Atlalanta, Rogers, this weekend
Due to stuff needed to be done at the house this year I have done very little birding. Except in the back yard which has been terrific. The White-winged Doves moved on as of two weeks ago.

I went with Karen Garrett to frog bayou for the Swallow-tailed Kite and Roseate Spoonbills a couple of weekends ago.

This weekend I decided it was going to be a Warbler Weekend due in part to everyones posts of Warblers.
This is not a complete list due partly to light conditions and due to the birds move to dang fast and the trees still have too many leaves on them. That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it.

Friday, Karen Garrett and I went to Lake Atalanta, there is still unending construction going on.
It was heavily overcast. We stayed near a parking area where a house used to be at the base of the upper trail between the rest rooms and the former house’s driveway. On the North side of the lake. I think.

We got there around 10 AM after the morning rain stopped and stayed 'til 1 PM. when it at started to drizzle again. Lighting was not particularly good. Heavily overcast. There is a large Sycamore Tree there and the birds were at the top, of course. Karen please feel free to add to the list. For a small area it was pretty birdy.

Summer Tanager , Yellow 1
Baltimore Oriole, Adult male 1
Carolina Chickadee, numerous
Tufted Titmouse, numerous
Blue-green Gnatcatcher 1
Carolina Wren 2
Nashville Warbler, several
Kentucky Warbler, chips heard by Karen. They nest in that area.
Gray Catbirds, numerous
Robins, numerous
Swainson’s Thrush 1
Yellow Warbler 1
Red-eyed Vireo 2 this is not a complete list, there were a lot of "what the heck was that"?

Afterward we went to the Charlie Craig fish hatchery.

There wasn’t a lot but what we saw was great. It was raining when we arrived, there was a flock of about 20 ducks that we thought was Blue-winged Teal and one White-faced Ibis. 2 Belted Kingfishers, Starlings.Pied-billed grebe. We did not see a lot of anything else.

Later that afternoon after a call from Joe Neal I went back looking for a Tern seen by hatchery personnel.
There were a few misc peeps I couldn’t I.D. Killdeer, 2 Great Egrets, 2 Green Heron, several Great Blue Heron, no Tern.

Saturday, Lake Atalanta with Lea Crisp.

We spent our time on the upper trail and to just past Frisco Spring.

Again, the birds we found we backlit, or so high we had difficulty with the ID,but we did find birds. There were a lot birds moving high through the trees on the trail between the spring and the Gazebo, what we could ID was mostly on that upper trail.

Blue Jays
Orange-crowned Warbler
Hooded Warbler, female
Nashville Warbler, several
Black & White Warbler
Robins
Catbirds
Titmice
Carolina Wrens
Red-eyed Vireos
Kinglet, backlit.
Am. Redstarts. 4 females at least.

I also heard the Barred Owl calling from far off.

Sunday went back to the lake by myself.

The lighting was better.

I managed to get a few decent photos too.

Chestnut-sided Warbler
Red-eyed Vireo
Yellow Warbler
Marsh Wren, a complete surprise
Common Yellowthroat
Osprey in a tree with a fish

no photos
American Redstart, Male
Kentucky Warbler where Karen heard one Friday
White-eyed Vireo
Northern Parula, male , backlit photo
Nashville Warbler
Blue Jays 3
Robins,numerous
Catbirds,numerous
Carolina Chickadee, numerous
Titmouse, numerous
RT Hummers were numerous at the Jewelweed

Fish Hatchery

Great Egret 1
Great Blue Heron 5
Belted Kingfisher 2
Pied-billed Grebe 1
DC Cormorant 1
Killdeer 20
Starlings
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher 1

20 doves in the snag by the hatchery south fence
10 Mourning Doves
10 EC Doves
Bald Eagle above the doves.

And a second Bald Eagle in the snag by the observation tower.

Jacque Brown
<bluebird2...>

Join us on Facebook!