Date: 9/23/18 5:21 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (23 Sep 2018) Raptors

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 7.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (7): Jean-Marie Gauthier [& William], Mike Gardner, Lana Glass,
Kathleen Pileggi, Susan Huffington
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Cloudy w/ Rain (100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 4,700-2,400 ft., Visibility -
10-7 miles, Temps 56 - 66F, Winds NE @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: NOTHING!
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ I made a very quick stop at the Polo Fields as I passed
this morning - finding but one bird on the closely cropped meadows – a lone
Wilson’s Snipe. Not even a Killdeer was there to keep it company.
<BR><BR>
At Bucktoe, first came our weekly bird walk. It was drizzling as I
prepared for anyone to show up. Then it started to rain in earnest. Still
we had 7 of us. It soon easily became on of the more frustrating birding
days that I can remember. Warbler Meadow held lots of warblers in the
treetops. The axiom that “bad weather produces great birding´ was true in
that they were around in large numbers, but with no light on them and rain
fogging up our binoculars – nearly impossible to identify. A quick look at
a Cape May Warbler [my FOY] was my highlight. But adding to the
frustration, I wasn’t able to get anyone else on it. We got only 42
species on our soggy walk.
<BR><BR>
There were NO hawks flying here today at our Hawk Watch in the steady rain.
What a contrast in days in weather and in birds – nothing today, an
onslaught of birds yesterday. I held hope for some accipiters today, but
not even one of those came by.
<BR><BR>
We identified 45 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Cape May
Warbler, Redstart, Magnolia Warbler, Black-and-white Warbler, Tennessee
Warbler, Northern Parula, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Black-throated Green
Warbler, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Purple Finch, and Bobolink. New for this
year’s “hawk watch area” species list was Cape May Warbler and
White-throated Sparrow. [111 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Cape May Warbler, Redstart, Magnolia Warbler, Black-and-white Warbler,
Tennessee Warbler, Northern Parula, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Black-throated
Green Warbler, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Purple Finch, and Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0). Dragonflies (0). Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (3): White-tailed Deer, Meadow Vole, Red
Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 3.35; Steps: 7,836; Floors: 27.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 45; this season: 111
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):” Cape May
Warbler, White-throated Sparrow.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like clouds continue, but not the rain for
tomorrow. Strong NE winds.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: