Date: 9/23/18 4:52 pm
From: Rowe, Richard A, 'Dick' via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Swainson's Thrush and a few warblers
All - I headed out this morning hoping to find warblers along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Unfortunately, the clouds and rain resulted in the Parkway being fogged in. So, I headed to a couple of valley locations. I spent most of my time at Locher Tract - a wildlife management area near Natural Bridge, VA. Locher Tract is unpredictable, but today it was very birdy. I found several mixed flocks of birds and one large groups of Swainson's Thrushes. I estimated there were 30-40 Swainson's Thrushes. Most of the birds were moving through the tops of the trees, but a few were cooperative enough to drop down near the groups so that I could get good views and photos of them. In addition, I had mixed flocks of Magnolia and Chestnut-sided Warblers, Ovenbirds, Red-eyed Vireos, Redstarts, Great Crested Flycatchers, and Scarlet Tanagers. Also, I saw a large number of Indigo Buntings (20+) and Catbirds (10). Both of these must have been migrating and were held up at the base of the mou
ntains.

I've posted a few photos on Flickr, if you're interested:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vmibiology/

Dick Rowe
VMI Biology Dept.