Date: 9/23/18 4:38 pm
From: Phil Davis <pdavis...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Possible Fork-tailed Flycatcher in Kent County
Hey Dave:

Phil Davis here with the records committee ...

I see that you say that you have no further details on this sighting.
Can you please give me the email address of the observers so I can
write them to ask them a couple of questions:

Additional Details. Fork-tailed Flycatchers have dark heads, so could
there be some confusion on the species? Could this have been a
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher? Are there any other details or information
they could provide regarding this sighting? I assume no photos were
taken. Did they take any written notes during or just after the
sighting? How did they eliminate similar species and resolve the issue
about the Scissor-tailed vs. Fork-tailed Flycatcher issue? How was it
determined that it was a female? What was the habitat like in the
backyard?

Committee Review. Would they like the records committee to review this
to try and turn it into an official MD record? Without additional
information, especially on how similar species were eliminated, it
will likely be a challenge to get this accepted. However, we can
always just consider it to be "one that got away."

FYI, here are some reference links:

https://identify.whatbird.com/obj/836/identification/Fork-tailed_Flycatcher.aspx

https://identify.whatbird.com/obj/844/identification/Scissor-tailed_Flycatcher.aspx

Alternatively, Dave, feel free to forward this message to them.

I hope to hear back. Thanks!

Phil

At 07:06 PM 09/13/2018, Dave Palmer wrote:

I received an e-mail from a trusted source about a female
Fork-tailed Flycatcher near Worton, MD (Kent County) on Wednesday,
September 12. I have no further details but it looks genuine.

Subject: Fwd: Birders

> Subject: Fwd: Birders
> Date: Wednesday, September 12, 2018, 4:18 PM
>
> FYI from my neighborhood
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From:
> "'Bob '
>
> Hi... Linda and I
> spotted a female forked tail flycatcher in our backyard Sunday
> afternoon. I just saw it again in our backyard.
> It's an accidental that seldom is seen outside of Mexico and
Texas. Be
> on the lookout. It has an almost solid white
> (flycatcher) head with a light gray body and grayish wings.
> Plus a long grayish 'forked' tail. There was one at Eastern Neck
about
> 8 years ago. Both probably here because of the series of storms
that
> occurred between here and its normal home.

Google Group 'Maryland & DC Birding'.
To view group guidelines or change email preferences, visit this
group on the web at http://www.mdbirding.com
Unfamiliar with a hotspot mentioned on this list? Quickly locate
it here - http://www.mdbirding.com/hotspot.html

Phil Davis, Secretary
MD/DC Records Committee
2549 Vale Court
Davidsonville, Maryland 21035 USA
301-261-0184
mailto:<PDavis...>

MD/DCRC Web site: http://www.MDBirds.org/mddcrc/rcindex.html
Group 'Maryland & DC Birding'.
To view group guidelines or change email preferences, visit this group
on the web at http://www.mdbirding.com
Unfamiliar with a hotspot mentioned on this list? Quickly locate it
here - http://www.mdbirding.com/hotspot.html

Join us on Facebook!