Date: 9/23/18 4:32 pm
From: Mike Epler <jmepler...>
Subject: Roseate Spoonbill etc., Conejohela Flats, Lancaster County
I spent the day on the Conejohela Flats. I was hoping that the light rain might forced down something interesting. The only thing brought in by the rain was a group of four American Golden-Plover, but it was a pretty good day anyway. In addition to the plover, I had four other species of shorebirds, Semipalmated Plover, Killdeer, Spotted Sandpiper, and Greater Yellowlegs.

I had the first Northern Pintail of the season, along with small flocks of Green-winged and Blue-winged Teal.

A few Caspian Terns and a single Forster's Tern hung around most of the morning. In the afternoon, just as the rain let up, a flock of terns flew in, 28 Forster's, and a single Common Tern. At one point I had terns feeding all around me as I was padding my kayak up towards Avocet Point.

The surprise of the day came as I was heading back to the boat ramp to leave for the day. The Roseate Spoonbill was feeding at the foot of the island just upstream from the boat ramp. It had been reported last on September 18, and I had assumed that it had moved on. Apparently it has a good hiding place.

I finished the day with 53 species.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48703491

Mike Epler
Middletown, PA