Date: 9/23/18 4:10 pm
From: Warblerick <ricksussman1955...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Rain warblers
This morning as I looked out towards the feeders, I noticed several small yellowish gray birds on both of the dwarf spruce trees I have there. They were obviously smaller than the many House Finches, so I grabbed my binoculars to look. My first thought when I saw one streaky bird with a yellowish rump, was Palm Warbler, but on closer inspection, I found them to be CAPE MAY WARBLERS, 5 or 6 of them (one bright male, the rest dingey grayish fall females or HY birds). They flitted back and forth, and I wasn't exactly sure what they were doing, whether gleaning insects or droplets of water. No sooner did I identify them then off they went. I went to the front of the house and looked out the front glass door, searching in the
yard at the very large Norway spruce trees there, and that's where they were. I managed several dismal digi-scope images, distance and rain hampering my efforts, as did their flighty behavior. They seemed to go back and forth between the front yard and the side yard for much of the morning, and along with them I found individual Black-throated Green and Magnolia Warblers.

And two hummers still feeding and looking forlorn, if that's possible for a cold, wet bird. And a single brownie Purple Finch at the seed feeders.

Rick Sussman
Woodbine, Carroll