Date: 9/23/18 3:37 pm
From: Jim Nelson <kingfishers2...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Oodles of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, C&O Canal, Mont Co.
I led an intrepid group of birders from the Montgomery Bird Club on a
walk from Pennyfield Lock to Violette's Lock on the C&O Canal towpath
this very rainy morning.  The constant rain put a damper on the numbers
and variety of species we observed.  Most notable were the significant
numbers of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks we observed.  And almost all of them
were in groups.  I tallied 8 for my eBird checklist for the walk, and I
think that was conservative.  We probably had twice that number, but
they were hard to see and count in the rain.  Today must of been a major
movement day for the species.

Jim Nelson

Bethesda, MD