Date: 9/23/18 7:15 am
From: Don Simons <Don.Simons...>
Subject: hawk watching
Hawk watching has been disappointing on Mount Magazine so far this season. This is due mainly to weather conditions. However, I expect things to get very active this week. Good conditions would include a fast moving cold front followed by clear skies. Good numbers of hawks ride the waves as a front approaches but the mountain is often plagued with fog and rain then. Right after the front passes through is when many broad-winged hawk pass through.

Last year our best day was September 28th, when we tallied 1788 broad-wings, over 200 vultures, and a few other species. On the previous day we had 178 broad-wings. On the following day we had 627 broads. So, to see big numbers, you have to get out there on several consecutive days.

This week, I'll be on Cameron Bluff Overlook Drive as much as possible. Officially starting at 10 a.m., Thursday through Sunday. Sure could use some extra company.

Don R. Simons, Park Interpreter
Certified Heritage Interpreter
Mount Magazine State Park
16878 HWY 309 South