Date: 9/22/18 5:57 pm
From: Hugh McGuinness <hdmcguinness...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Broad-wings
Continuing the Broad-winged Hawk theme, today in the District I saw 1250
Broad-wings between 3:20 and 5:15. At my first stop along the Potomac, I
found 9 species of raptors and 960 Broad-wings. Later in Rock Creek Park
there were a minimum of 290. Other birds of note were a pair of Northern
Harriers, high in the sky, moving south along the river.

In other news, the District's first fall Black-headed Gull continued to
perform throughout the day for those who brought it treats (whole-grain
pita chips worked great for me) at the Georgetown Waterfront Park. This is
the first record entered into e-bird since 1983, although I have been told
that there was another one reported by a kayaker on the Anacostia many
years ago, but since 1983. This morning it arrived at 7:45am and both
nights it has been gone by about 6:15pm.

Hugh

--
Hugh McGuinness
Washington, D.C.