Date: 9/22/18 4:45 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (22 Sep 2018) 2648 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 18:00:00
Total observation time: 9.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (24): John McNamara, Sue McLaughlin, Mike & Evelyn Fowles, Rob
Yacucci, Lee Gummey, Janny sterrett, Tim Sterrett, Kelley Nunn, Jim Balint,
Jerry Jeffers, Susan Huffington, Elaine Kirk, Deb Adelberg, Margie
Cummings, Cathy Huneke, Lee Peterson [+1], Barb Polilli, Sara Polilli,
Lorrie Sherron, Jean-Marie Gauthier, Michael Gauthier
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Sunny (75% cloud cover), Ceiling - 11,600-30,000 ft., Visibility -
10 miles, Temps 67 - 73F, Winds North @ 10 - 15 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 3-Red-shouldered Hawk,
7-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (65) and Turkey Vultures (71).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-4; 2 yr.-2; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-1; adult-12
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ I stopped briefly by the Polo Fields on my way in today,
with only 4 Killdeer my reward. Things have left. At Bucktoe, a dashing
[literally] Red squirrel was on my path to the Hawk Watch site. There were
tons of things to do this morning. A calling Red-breasted Nuthatch helped
my mood - somewhat. A few vultures were getting up by 8:30 – a good sign!
It was soon o – very steady with activity, but few Broad-wings. That
changed around 11am. Lots of people were out to see lots of birds. A
Peregrine streaked the sky. A Harrier lumbered through. “Grillmaster
Jerry” was out, bringing steaks for the grill. It was a very busy day at
the Hawk Watch with people, birds and after our watch, the Edible Wild
Plants program with Lee Peterson and the folks from The Land Conservancy.
Still later, Delaware Nature Society was here with Rob and a couple of
families camping out. While sandwiched between all that Jerry grilled us
those steaks. WOW, what a day!! We had a ton of Broad-winged Hawks!
Literally, we had a ton!! 2,547 Broad-winged Hawks soared overhead, and at
an average weight of a pound each for that species, that comes to more than
a ton – even a metric ton! 13 species of what were formerly, at least,
called raptors [including hawks, eagles, falcons and vultures] were also
tallied.
<BR><BR>
We identified 58 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Harrier, Osprey, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered
Hawk, Broad-winged Hawk, American Kestrel, Merlin, Peregrine Falcon, RAVEN,
Double-crested Cormorants, Great Blue Heron, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Purple
Finch, and Bobolinks. Nothing new for this year’s “hawk watch area”
species list was seen. [109 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
RAVEN, Double-crested Cormorants, Great Blue Heron, Red-breasted Nuthatch,
Purple Finch, and Bobolinks.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (8): Monarch - 60, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, Orange Sulphur,
Red-spotted Purple, Eastern Comma. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black
Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals
(3): Eastern Cottontail, Meadow Vole, Red Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 3.98; Steps: 8,991; Floors: 4.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 58; this season: 109
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks completely different, with rain and light NE winds.
It's the 1 year anniversary of our record flight day of 4,552
Broad-wings, though!
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: