Date: 9/22/18 4:00 pm
From: Patricia Valdata <pvaldata1...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Crisfield Kettle
About two hours ago I was selling books at the Crisfield 4th Saturday
Stroll, when my customer looked up and said "What are they?" I peeked out
from under the canopy and saw a kettle of probably 200+ birds, a mix of
gulls and Broad-winged Hawks. I'm sure there were a few Turkey Vultures in
there, too, but unfortunately I didn't get a good look.

The kettle formed as the weather was deteriorating; within an hour it
started sprinkling and a half hour ago raining in earnest. A line of storms
was going up Rt. 13 along the Virginia Eastern Shore towards Pokomoke, so
the birds probably caught lift from the bay side of those storm clouds as
they headed south towards Kiptopeke.

Pat Valdata
Crisfield, Somerset County