Date: 9/22/18 9:02 am
From: Gail Mackiernan <katahdinss...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Wheaton Regional Park today 9/22
Hi all,

A long time since I posted because, frankly, this has been a very disappointing migration season so far. Bad weather, rain, wind, and a general lack of migrants. Today didn’t‘t look any more promising but when it started to clear and the wind shifted to the north, we decided to give to a go. There was some moderate activity for a while, starting rather late as it got sunny. Seven species of warbler, most feeding at near eye level in the little trees in the so-called “orchard” area (below where the old white house once stood) and some nice activity in the “wall of vines.” Best for us were the three Yellow-billed Cuckoos, two amazingly sitting out in plain sight. We missed, unfortunately, the Philadelphia Vireo reported by other birders. Others also reported R-B Grosbeak and Nashville Warbler.

Gail Mackiernan and Barry Cooper
Colesville,MD

Wheaton Regional Park--mini-train tracks/Pine Lake, Montgomery, Maryland, US
Sep 22, 2018 8:30 AM - 10:30 AM
37 species (+1 other taxa)

Birds of interest:

Wood Duck 6