Date: 9/21/18 6:03 pm
From: <birderick...>
Subject: [MDBirding] The Yard Quest (continued)
The quest continues...
Bob Ringler joined me in what turned out to be a fairly quiet birding morning. South-southeast winds and a low cloud cover produced few hoped-for migrants, and even the local birds were fairly slow to appear. Loose flocks of Blue Jays moved over throughout the morning, and Northern Flicker numbers are picking up. We did see 5-6 flyover RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS, breaking my yard record by several, probably. And a single "brownie" PURPLE FINCH, yard bird for the year No. 107, stayed high in the treetop, making viewing difficult. A male Common Yellowthroat was the only warbler, and a single Field Sparrow was seen. A small flock of Cedar Waxwings flew over, as did a Pileated Woodpecker (before Bob arrived). 3 hummingbirds were still active at the feeders and native honeysuckle.
Tomorrow is another day closer to 115!

Rick Sussman
Woodbine,MD