Date: 9/21/18 3:15 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (21 Sep 2018) 28 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 18:00:00
Total observation time: 9.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (8): ]: Jim Balint, Dale Kendal, Karen Satterthwaite, Bob Suter,
Susan Phelps, Debby Kern, Brigitte Alexander
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Cloudy - Mostly Cloudy (100-75% cloud cover), Ceiling 3,300-3,500 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 63 - 76F, Winds SE-S @ 10 - 15 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
5-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (70) and Turkey Vultures (76).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ My “ice maiden” was back this morning at Giant. Lauren is
her name. Lauren had NOT been studying her weights and measures. Logic
has escaped her, as well. We went through the entire “large ice bag”
ritual yet again. She is befuddled by what 10 and 20 pounds are! A
Harrier was coursing the meadow on my arrival. A Merlin hastened through.
Jim was out for field brew. I asked him if he wanted a 12 ounce cup or the
16 ounce. He said the larger cup. With a brain dead look on my face I
said, “What on earth do you mean?” [thanks Lauren]
<BR><BR>
Dale, Karen, Debby, Bob, and the crew from Crosslands Retirement Community
were out early this morning. I love you folks! Dale was dying for some
field brew. Funny, people usually wait to do THAT until after they have
it, Dale. [lol] She described her “death by field brew” as “very good.”
Hmmm, I again overshot the formula. I was aiming for tolerable brew.
Little was moving today with the strong winds from the south. Staying lat
to write, I was rewarded with Blue Grosbeak and the hooting of a Barred
Owl.
<BR><BR>
We identified 55 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Harrier, Osprey, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered
Hawk, Broad-winged Hawk, American Kestrel, Merlin, Green Heron, Barred Owl,
Blue Grosbeak, Purple Finch, and Bobolinks. New for this year’s “hawk
watch area” species list was Harrier. [109 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Green Heron, Barred Owl, Blue Grosbeak, Purple Finch, and Bobolinks.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (8): Monarch - 45, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, Black
Swallowtail, Orange Sulphur, Red-spotted Purple. Dragonflies (3): Green
Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians
(0). Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Meadow Vole.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.36; Steps: 9,031; Floors: 3.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 55; this season: 109
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Northern
Harrier.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks quite good with partially sunny skies and moderate
northerly winds. It was exactly a year ago tomorrow that we had 2 straight
days of over 4,000 Broad-winged Hawks here.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek