Date: 9/21/18 2:45 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: [de-birds] Ashland Nature Center (21 Sep 2018) 27 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 4 4
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 2 2

Total: 27 779 784

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7.5 hours

Official Counter: David Brown

Observers: Dirk Robinson, Gwen Moore, Jim Lewis, Kim Steininger,
Sally O'Byrne, Sue McLaughlin

Visitors:
20: Gwen Moore from Colorado, Carla, Robert Young, Karen Barker, Ian
Stewart and Osher group, Joanna from Mississippi

Weather:
Overcast with moderate south winds.

Raptor Observations:
A good osprey flight with a total of 18 but otherwise very slow including
only 1 broad-winged hawk.

Non-raptor Observations:
Lesser yellowlegs, 11 monarchs

Predictions:
Partly cloudy. Cooler with a high around 73F. Winds N@8 gusting 14.

Conditions are looking excellent for overall raptor migration.

Will this be the big broad-winged hawk flight? Here are some details to
keep in mind. We still haven't had any serious broad-wing numbers so
hopefully there are large numbers still north of us. The overall timing is
very similar to last season when the big day was 23 Sep. Broad-winged hawk
migration was nonexistent today due to strong south winds. From the day
before there seem to be some broad-wings in the region but not enormous
numbers. Could this mean that we won't see a huge morning liftoff but
rather a push later in the day?

The winds will be strong. How will this affect the formation of thermals
and the ability for broad-wings to form kettles? After tomorrow the weather
isn't looking very good for at least a few days.

In summary, tomorrow seems to be the best shot we will have at a big
broad-winged hawk flight and it will be a great day for hawk migration in
general, so it will be worth it to come out and hope for the best.

Report submitted by David Brown (<davidebrownpa...>)
Ashland Nature Center information may be found at:
www.delnature.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=663
Count data submitted via Dunkadoo - Project info at:
https://dunkadoo.org/explore/delmarva-ornithological-society/ashland-hawk-count-fall-2018

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Join us on Facebook!