Date: 9/21/18 12:08 pm
From: Alan Buriak <a_buriak...>
Subject: Olive-sided Flycatcher - Allegheny County
Last evening I went for a walk before dusk at the upper field area of North Park to see if I could turn up any migrants. It was pretty quiet overall and on my initial pass of the field, the only migrants I managed were a Black-throated Green Warbler and a Northern Parula foraging together on the southern edge. In the last bit of light before dusk, I got to the eastern edge of the field and figured I'd try the brushy area where several trails cross as this area has been good to me, and low and behold, an Olive-sided Flycatcher was perched atop a dead tree right where the trails turn towards the nature center. It's funny how certain areas seem to be hotbeds for interesting sightings. It could be pure coincidence, but that specific area at the east edge of the upper field where the trails pass through a brushy area and turn down the hill towards Latodami nature center has turned up several good birds for me in the last few years, including Connecticut Warbler, Philadelphia Vireo, Black-billed Cuckoo, Winter Wren, countless other warblers, a reliable spot for Fox Sparrows when timed right, and now an Olive-sided Flycatcher, all within an area about 100 x 100 feet. This is also I believe the exact area where a few years ago David Poortinga found a nesting Chestnut-sided Warbler pair, which is now a very rare occurrence in Allegheny County. Also very nearby Yellow-breasted Chats nested a couple years ago. Again, possibly all just a coincidence or maybe not.

Good birding,
Alan Buriak
Gibsonia, Allegheny County