Date: 9/21/18 8:51 am
From: Adam Schaffer <000000135bd342dd-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Binoculars for children
Our Audubon Campers, my five year-old, and myself all use Eagle Optics 8 x 42 Rangers. My son’s doing so well with them I think I’ll give mine to him for Christmas and get something different for myself. He used them to find and identify a distant mountain bluebird for me in the Badlands during our recent road trip. Most starter kids binocs are utter junk.

Adam Schaffer
back in Bentonville

> On Sep 13, 2018, at 5:03 PM, Sara Caulk <0000006993f5a594-dmarc-request...> wrote:
>
> I agree with Kannan and Joe, HOWEVER:
>
> What I call the "squoze" factor or adjustable distance between the eye pieces on the bins or pupil to pupil on the people needs to be greater on the bins children or small adults use. If that distance can not be made closer (or squoze), as is often the case on many "starter" binoculars, it won't matter a whole lot what the field of view or exit pupil is because the big, beautiful sweet spot needed for a clear focused image will not be attainable. I learned several years ago that in their infancy binoculars were designed for men (mostly hunters) and these bins will probably fall into the IPD (interpupillary distance) range of 54-68 mm whereas because of smaller stature children and most women have an IPD of 41-55 mm. This is evident when being fitted for glasses the optometrist will measure this distance so that your glasses focus as intended! The squoze factor is especially noticeable when using binoculars with that sort of rocker arm assembly. The rocker-arm dealy prevents them from being squozed.
>
> As Pete Dunn says, "Generally speaking if you want to FIND the bird 8x42's are great. If you want to SEE the bird, 10x42's are better."
>
> I agree, but will add that if you can't get the focus correct for your IPD, it won't matter a great deal.

> On Thu, 9/13/18, Joe Neal <joecneal...> wrote:
>
> Subject: Re: Binoculars for children
> To: <ARBIRD-L...>
> Date: Thursday, September 13, 2018, 6:39 AGenM
>
> Some
> of the best reviewed ones over the years have been in the
> range of 6 X 30 to 7 X30 or 40. Kids need the big field of
> view to get started, not so much magnification. You can
> follow up on this directly by discussing with folks who run
> our Halberg Camp. Kids at Halberg are a little older, but
> issues are the same. I agree with Kannan -- anything under
> 30 is mainly a toy. 6 or 7 on the other end is
> enough.
>

> On Wednesday,
> September 12, 2018 2:48 PM, Jerry Butler
> <jerrysharon.butler...> wrote:
>

> I have an opportunity
> to provide children, ages 9-10, with binoculars to watch
> birds.
> In the past
> when I have allowed children to look through my 10X50 binocs
> most of them claimed they couldn't see very well. Does
> any one have experience with children that age, and could
> suggest what power they need? Brand or feature
> recommendations?
> I see
> ads that tout binocs for kids in the 8X20 range, but I am
> reluctant to take the sellers word without hearing for
> others.
> Peace and
> Birds Jerry Butler.

Join us on Facebook!