Date: 9/20/18 7:52 pm
From: <mvjohnski...>
Subject: [cobirds] Adult Sabine Gull at Smith Reservoir
Today in both the afternoon and evening, I observed and attempted to
photograph an adult Sabine Gull at Smith reservoir, Costilla County. It has
the striking wing pattern of white, black and gray, and dark head with dark
bill tipped in yellow. I first saw it in flight and then saw it on water.
But it is staying at the extreme north end of the lake so bring a scope.
Got enough pics for identification but not for artistry!

Long-billed Curlew was another enjoyable sighting.

A few years ago, we had a number of juvenile Sabines visit the Valley. This
may be the first adult.

On another note, a Cassin's Vireo was on the Mosca Pass Trail today
(Alamosa Cty).

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO