Date: 9/20/18 5:41 pm
From: Barry Haas <bhaas...>
Subject: Stuart Lance Peacock
Dear ARBIRDers,

My wife Susan made me aware of Lance Peacock's death this past Sunday (see his obituary below). I don't recall when or how I first crossed paths with Lance many years ago. But it most likely was related to a Christmas Bird Count in Little Rock or Lonoke when he would usually team up with a fellow Arkansas Nature Conservancy naturalist or two and do his part for citizen science.

Lance did good things for Arkansas through his work at the Arkansas Nature Conservancy and his other nature related efforts.

I'm sorry to see the news of his passing.

From the deep woods just west of Little Rock,
Barry Haas

Stuart Lance Peacock

Little Rock, AR, 1948 - 2018

Stuart Lance Peacock, age 70 died Sunday, September 16, 2018 at his home in Little Rock with his family by his side. Lance was retired from the Arkansas field office of The Nature Conservancy, which he joined in 1983 as the then-four-person staff's sole scientist. He retired in 2006. He also served a term on the Arkansas Forestry Commission. Lance had a bachelor's degree in anthropology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and a master's degree in conservation from Duke University. He favored the Tarheels.
Lance was a master birder who could identify species by ear; for many years he used that skill conducting Breeding Bird Surveys for Audubon. He loved native plants, butterflies, Moro Bottoms, Mozart operas, Walt Kelly's "Pogo," the Outer Banks of North Carolina, Lorance Creek Natural Area and sweet potatoes.

He is survived by his wife, Leslie Newell Peacock; his daughter, Hannah Katherine Newell Peacock; his sister, Margaret Sorrell and herhusband, Dave; sister Nancy Peacock and her husband, Ben Campbell; and his brother, Edward Peacock. He was predeceased by his parents, Alton and Margaret Weston Peacock.

The family would like to thank the many people who took care of Lance and us during his illness with Huntington's Disease: the Newell family; Lance's siblings; caregivers Rosie Rafter, Rose Brewer, Martha McNew; Alice Carter and the rest of the Arkansas Hospice team; and the best friends on earth. A gathering to honor Lance will be held later this month.

Lance would love memorials to go to the Arkansas chapter of The Nature Conservancy. Cremation arrangements by Cremation Services of Arkansas (501) 313-5431 www.cremationservicesofarkansas.com.

Join us on Facebook!