Date: 9/20/18 4:26 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (20 Sep 2018) 158 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 19:00:00
Total observation time: 10.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (9): Carol Majors, Judy Ford, Jerry Jeffers, Jim Balint, Gerry
Teig, Nolan Morris, Barb & R. J. Polilli
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Fog, Cloudy (100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 2,500-7,000 ft., Visibility -
0-10 miles, Temps 65 - 75F, Winds NNE-ESE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating:2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (52) and Turkey Vultures (72).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ Carol & Judy arrived early today, seeing just a couple of
warblers – Black-and-white Warbler and Redstart in the meadows. A glimmer
of hope showed up this foggy day when a pair of low Broad-winged Hawks were
seen at 11:15. Gerry arrived to lifting hawks very low in the fog at
11:45. Low, but moderate size kettles appeared distantly in our western
sky. The hawk migration abruptly slowed. Jim arrived for field brew,
calling it “gourmet.” I’ll have to tone it down a bit. Otherwise, he’ll
be out here constantly. Nolan was out. Will something inspire him to
write today? We shall see. I heard a couple of Red-breasted Nuthatches
calling from the grove of pines and spruces (my FOY), late in the day. A
pair of calling COMMON RAVENS came by soon after. Saturday is shaping up
to be the next good day for migration. There has to be many Broad-wings
yet to pass.
<BR><BR>
We identified 55 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Osprey, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk,
Broad-winged Hawk, American Kestrel, COMMON RAVEN, Red-breasted Nuthatch,
Black-and-white Warbler, American Redstart, Purple Finch, and Bobolinks.
New for this year’s “hawk watch area” species list was Red-breasted
Nuthatch. [108 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
COMMON RAVEN, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Black-and-white Warbler, American
Redstart, Purple Finch, and Bobolinks. <BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (9): Monarch - 85, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple. Dragonflies (3):
Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel,
Meadow Vole.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.84; Steps: 10,028; Floors: 8.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 55; this season: 108
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
Red-breasted Nuthatch.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a transitional day with winds from the south.
The next good day looks like Saturday. I think we could have our best
Broad-wing day then. It was one year ago that day when we had well over
4,000 of them!
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: