Date: 9/20/18 4:11 pm
From: Yong Kong <yklitespeed...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Freedom Birding - My trip to Higbee and Cape Island
I made the trip to Cape Island-Higbee today that I would call it a Freedom Birding. Reason ?

It was based on my deep desire to free myself from BirdCast, migration map radar, weather report *wind direction* eBird bar chart, and especially trolling daily eBird reports. Also, for self-challenge to find birds on my own.

It was a toll order at Higbee in search of birds. I had to bushwhack and had to circle that shrub island in Field One for Maggie and Prairie. Then the CMBO bird alert went off about the sighting of Tom Baxter at Norwood Center. I had to go find him to just say Hello (not the reported warbler).

Thanks to Tom, I was able to get my bins on most of the reported Norwood Center warblers.

Second high light of the trip was discovering a non-disturbed native upland forest containing hickory, oaks and other native species. Forest structure was even intact, tall overstory, subcanapy layer and shrubs. Wow, totally unlike of Higbee forest. It was the blue trail at the north end of Bayshore Ave.

Collected three Pignut Hickory nuts for home planting as my never ending quest to duplicate/bring Cape May to my tiny home yard.

Yong Kong
Camden County

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>