Date: 9/20/18 10:01 am
From: James Morgan <jlmm...>
Subject: Re: How House Sparrow Conquered the World Encoded in Its Genes
Bringing this amphibian story up since it may be a way that invasive
species are controlled in the future as well as the Cane Toad having
impacts on bird species in areas of the world where they are not native.

I scanned a brief news feed yesterday that they had sequenced most of
the genome of the Cane Toad, (used to be Bufo marinus) which is an
invasive in several tropical and subtropical areas in the world. Largest
toad species and research has documented a significant decrease in
biodiversity where it has been brought into control insects in sugar
cane fields.

The researchers that sequenced the Cane Toad genome are hoping that some
of the viruses that are incorporated in the Cane Toad's genome could be
engineered to control it. Since it doesn't live in more temperate
regions, it is not as wide spread as the house sparrow. But it does
impact a very large number of wildlife species and communities -   both
through its aggressive behavior as a predator and because it is so toxic
to animals that try to eat it. In Australia they kill lizards. In Hawaii
they kill pet dogs. There may be even a grade "F" horror movie about them.

One time, we needed a frog for a teaching lab in Corvallis Oregon (OSU)
and caught an invasive species there, a bull frog. The bull frog had a
starling fledgling in its stomach. So two invasive species in one catch.
Cane toads are much more aggressive than bullfrogs so they are catching
birds and even a few bats.

Regards

Jim Morgan

Fayetteville, AR

On 9/20/2018 9:58 AM, Butch Tetzlaff wrote:
> Fascinating article!  Thanks for sharing!  It would be fascinating to
> compare these results with the genes in the Eurasian Tree Sparrow
> since their spread has only been recent and is still pretty limited.
>
> Butch
>
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 9:24 AM Jerry Davis <jwdavis...>
> <mailto:<jwdavis...>> wrote:
>
> Some insight into a species that has been associate with humans
> for 11,000 years.
> Jerry Wayne Davis
> Hot Springs, AR
> https://www.audubon.org/news/how-house-sparrow-conquered-world-encoded-its-genes