Date: 9/18/18 4:07 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: [de-birds] Ashland Nature Center (18 Sep 2018) 51 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 2 2

Total: 51 427 432

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 7.25 hours

Official Counter: David Brown

Observers: Kim Steininger

Visitors:
Nancy Steckel in the morning (thanks for the quiche!). Megan Kasprzak,
Shannon Modla, and Kelley Nunn at the very end.

Weather:
Overcast in the morning with light westerly winds. A band of thunderstorms
descended from the northeast and paused the count for about 2 hours midday.
After the storms the winds shifted to the NW and eventually the low cloud
cover cleared to a sunny evening.

Raptor Observations:
A small number of raptors in the morning including a group of 7 broad-wings
mixed in with a kettle of vultures. After the storms passed and the winds
shifted we had a nice late day flight of ospreys, bald eagles, kestrels,
sharpies, and merlins, plus one more broad-wing.

Non-raptor Observations:
50+ nighthawks in the early evening.

Predictions:
Sunny with light to moderate north winds and a high around 81F. It is
always risky to make bold predictions but I don't see how it will be
anything but an amazing day. Sunny skies and light north winds the day
after a front passed in the peak of broad-winged hawk migration. I know a
few of you will be calling in sick to work!

The only downside is that the lack of clouds will make it difficult to spot
birds especially in the early afternoon as the migrants reach their peak
altitude.

Is this going to be the big broad-winged hawk day? It is hard to say. I
stayed late at the hawk watch and didn't see any kettles settling down into
the area so maybe we won't have a huge morning liftoff. Maybe they'll come
later in the day or maybe it will take another few days. Even without the
broad-wings we should have good numbers of kestrels, sharpies, and bald
eagles among the other expected species.

Report submitted by David Brown (<davidebrownpa...>)
Ashland Nature Center information may be found at:
www.delnature.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=663
Count data submitted via Dunkadoo - Project info at:
https://dunkadoo.org/explore/delmarva-ornithological-society/ashland-hawk-count-fall-2018

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Join us on Facebook!