Date: 9/18/18 6:03 am
From: Karen Garrett <kjgarrett84...>
Subject: Two eagles, an Osprey, and 2 to 3 dozen Eurasian Collared Doves
On Monday afternoon, I visited the Craig State Fish Hatchery in Centerton
with my mind on dragonflies and damselflies. There was no shortage of
either, with Eastern Amberwings being the most numerous. I headed to the
lower west end, as that is a place where I often see odes. Almost from the
beginning, I started hearing an Osprey down on the east side, but even
though I looked often, I didn't locate the Osprey. I finally decided to
head that way. I didn't make it far before I noticed 2 very large birds in
a dead tree in an adjoining pasture. Osprey, right? No; two mature Bald
Eagles. After a few photos, I continued my quest for the Osprey on the
east side, but didn't find it. (There is a large pond that has been drawn
down. All I saw were Killdeer and some distant peeps.

Well, to make a short story long, the eagles took off, flew east and
disappeared. When I got make within eyeshot of that dead tree, there was
the Osprey. While I was snapping some photos of him, a huge flock of ECDO
flew up and into the same tree. found that odd. Anyway, I went back to
the dragons, but the next time I looked at the tree, it contained one Bald
Eagle, zero Ospreu, and no sign of the Collared-Doves.

There were 2 other raptors: a Red-shouldered Hawk, and a Red-tailed Hawk,
both juveniles. I also saw something that I never thought could happen. I
photographed a Viceroy Butterfly mating with a Red-spotted Purple. If
anyone would like to see the photo, let me know. I did post it on the
Arkansas Butterflies facebook page.

Good day for nature study.

Karen Garrett
Rogers, in the Great Northwest