Date: 9/14/18 9:35 am
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Bird die-offs in ME/NH?
Here's a very interesting request from Nichola Hill, Senior Research
Associate at Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, Tufts University.

Please send any observations to her directly.  I've asked her to update
us at some point with her findings.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

*

<Nichola.Hill...>
Bird die-offs in ME/NH?
Fri, 14 Sep 2018 12:57:07 +0000

Long time listener, first time on the air. Curious if any MassBirders
have noticed unusually high numbers of dead seabirds in recent weeks?
Our lab at Tufts University has been working to diagnose the cause of
the seal die-off
<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/07/science/dead-seals-new-england.html>
that has been reported as killing approximately 600 seals around the
Isles of Shoals. Concurrently there has been an uptick in the number of
dead birds reported to the wildlife rehab centres in ME and NH. We are
curious to understand if the cause of the seal mortalities is also
killing birds along the New England coast. The primary pathogen that has
been detected in the dead seals is Phocine Distemper Virus (PDV) but we
suspect a co-infection with other wildlife pathogens. Hoping to enlist
the help of MassBirders in determining whether indeed there is an
increase in the number of dead birds occurring in Massachusetts, Maine
and New Hampshire. The following would be helpful information for
us…about what bird species where observed dead, what bird live species
were observed in proximity, whether seals were also observed, as well as
location and date of the event

Hugely grateful for any information that the collective brainpower of
Mass Bird could provide.

Best,
Nichola

*_________________________________*

Nichola J. Hill
Senior ResearchAssociate

Runstadler Lab
Department of Infectious Disease & Global Health
Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine
Tufts University, North Grafton, MA 01539
Cell: 617-447-8036 / Office: 508-839-8775
Report a banded gull: gullwatch.vet.tufts.edu
<https://gullwatch.vet.tufts.edu>

Join us on Facebook!