Date: 9/14/18 12:32 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (13 Sep 2018) 15 Raptors

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carl Mease, Gerry Teig

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (4): Jim Balint, Gerry Teig, Carl Mease
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Fog, Overcast w/ Rain becoming Mostly Cloudy (100-90% cloud cover), Ceiling
- 800-2,500 ft., Visibility - 1-10 miles, Temps 70 - 77F, Winds ENE @ 5 -
10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Cooper's Hawk,
3-Red-shouldered Hawk, 2-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (27) and
Turkey Vultures (61).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-1; adult-2
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ More fog, clouds and rain heading our way today. Will this
ever end?? There has been almost no migration yet. When this breaks we
are going to have a lot of birds come through AND a lot of fun! Get ready!
On the way to Bucktoe, I stopped for breakfast, field brew and to scan the
Polo Fields. I mean, one cannot look for “grass-pipers” and then hawks on
an empty stomach and without a proper morning beverage. With proper
sustenance, I scoured the sod, finding only 40 Pectoral Sandpipers to be of
real interest. Hmmm, perhaps I should have went with the French toast.
What say you, Jean-Marie? Is French toast good luck for birding? Then
with a rush a local Cooper’s Hawk swooped into my site feeders and missed a
sparrow, alighting on our feeder snag. It calmly watched me set up the
chairs. Come on, Coop – I’m trying to get a Lark Sparrow to come to my
feeders here. This kind of action will not do! A Bald Eagle was next,
calling in the lifting fog. Also out of sight, Bobolinks did the same.
While a Blue Grosbeak “chipped” from the meadow. It was a better start to
today. Perhaps there will be some movement. You’re right, it’s time for
my morning warbler walk to “Warbler Meadow.” I had scored a bagel and, of
course, field brew for my walk, when a sweat bee started going after both
of them – not me! If you cause me to drop my cinnamon raisin bagel [with
mixed berry cream cheese] AND my “FIELD BREW,” we are going to have
“issues!!” AND sweat Bee, you haven’t begun to see me perspire until THAT
happens! Hmmm, perhaps THAT’S his angle? As we walked, the bee and I
disputed ownership of the brew and the bagel. I won, as I downed the last
bit of bagel with a swallow of brew, leaving one disgruntled bee sweating
it out. There was a threatening layer of lower clouds shifting in the
breeze. Beyond that, in a couple of spots you could see very high cirrus
clouds coating the sky. And what’s this? The color blue was even up
there! Could it be?? On my walk there was surprisingly no warbler
activity beyond Yellowthroats. I did stir up an overnighting Broad-winged
Hawk and a Red-shouldered Hawk on my travels. An Osprey migrated overhead.
When I got back to my site, I found two quite late Eastern Kingbirds in my
feeder snag tree, using it for a time as a base of operations. The clouds
quickly thickened covering that very strange color I had seen, returning
things to as they should be.
<BR><BR>
Pulled pork was for lunch. After the “disagreement” the sweat bees and I
had over this morning’s bagel and field brew, I can hardly wait for
discussions to begin over this tasty fare. I predict that he’ll still bee
[sorry] on his forced diet. A Gnatcatcher was in the small saplings at the
feeders. A few hawks were moving today, giving hope to the days following
breakup of this weather pattern. Gerry was out twice today, sandwiched
around, well..a sandwich [for lunch with his wife].
<BR><BR>
We identified 51 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Cooper’s
Hawk, Osprey, Bald Eagle, Broad-winged Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, Eastern
Kingbirds, Blue Grosbeak, Bobolinks.
<BR><BR>
I stopped by the Polo Fields as I passed with the birds remaining the same
as my earlier visit.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Eastern Kingbirds, Blue Grosbeak, Bobolinks.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (9): Monarch - 70, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Red-spotted Purple, Variegated Fritillary.
Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer.
Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray
Squirrel, Meadow Vole.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 8.72; Steps: 20,052; Floors:
23.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 51; this season: 99
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like rain and clouds, AGAIN!
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek