Date: 9/13/18 9:54 am
From: Herbert Larner via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Shorebirds in Stuarts Draft
Hello all

After getting off work this morning I went out to do a little pre Tropical storm birding . In the Swoope area all the ponds were full & no waterfowl was around . The biggest tragedy is that the tree where the Bald Eagle's nest WAS has fallen . McCune's had one Great egret , Bells lane one Great egret ,1 Great Blue & one Green Heron , 6 Wood Duck , 2 Mallard , 1 Killdeer , 2 Solitary Sandpiper . Before leaving a group of about 100 Tree Swallow was coming thru along with about 20 + Rough - winged Swallow . Quillen's Pond was full & no Waterfowl or Shorebirds . The big find today was in a field on the lower end of Patton Farm Road here I had the following . plus a Great Egret in a small pond next to the road ( Wayne Ave ) .

Killdeer -- 50

Ruddy Turnstone -- 1

Least sandpiper -- 1

White - rumped Sandpiper -- 9

Pectoral -- 20 +

Buff- breasted Sandpiper -- 1

Horned Lark -- 25+

Not a bad day of birding before the storm .

If birding the next few days be safe out there .

Allen Larner
Staunton