Date: 9/13/18 9:53 am
From: Fred Shaffer <glaucousgull...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Dickcissel at Schoolhouse Pond
I found a very unexpected bird at Schoolhouse Pond today during my lunchtime walk. There was an immature Dickcissel in the weeds and small shrubs near the rear observation platform.  I got decent views of the bird as it briefly perched in the open atop one of the small shrubs. It was foraging with a few Song Sparrows in the weeds/wetland vegetation as I walked out to the platform and the birds flushed up to the bush. This bird must just be migrating through and I can't imagine that it would hang out for too long at this location as the habitat probably isn't ideal for the species.  However, with the water level so low at the pond the last few years, the rear mudflats are becoming increasingly overgrown and weedy and possibly more attractive to migrant sparrows (perhaps a Nelson's Sparrow?) and other birds with preferences for open, but slightly overgrown areas. Good birding,
Fred <ShafferGlaucousGull...>, Maryland