Date: 9/9/18 7:50 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Mount Watatic (09 Sep 2018) 147 Raptors

Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2018 17:53:18 -0800
From: <reports...>
Subject: Mount Watatic (09 Sep 2018) 147 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 8 11 11

Total: 147 308 308

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:30:00
Total observation time: 7.5 hours

Official Counter: Brian Rusnica

Observers:

Visitors:
Randy M., Peter Cristoph, Janet & Neil Buckley

Weather:
Downright chilly morning with stiff NE winds most of the day. 100%
overcast for the second straight day.

Raptor Observations:
Slightly better total numbers today, but no large groups of Broad-winged
Hawks were observed. Two groups of 12 were the largest gatherings we saw.

The most significant sighting of the day was a Mt. Watatic first as far as
I can tell - a single Black Vulture drifted high overhead, interacting with
a large group of ravens before disappearing to the southeast. Fortunately,
its slow trajectory allowed watchers several chances to confirm this
confusing ID.

Today was one of the larger Bald Eagle showings I've seen at Mt. Watatic -
with 13 total eagles, many of them well seen right over the summit.

Non-migrant Raptors
12 Turkey Vulture
4 Red-tailed Hawk
1 Broad-winged Hawk

Non-raptor Observations:
20 Common Raven
5 Dark-eyed Junco
1 Pine Warbler

Predictions:
Lots of rain hits the state on Monday and no count will be held.
Report submitted by Brian Rusnica (<brian_rusnica...>)
Mount Watatic information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=229

Join us on Facebook!