Date: 9/9/18 5:33 pm
From: Rowe, Richard A, 'Dick' via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Red-necked Phalarope and SB Dowitcher - Rockbridge Co
All - I headed out this morning to look for warblers but the Blue Ridge Parkway was fogged in, so I decided to hit a couple of ponds. I'm glad I did! I stopped at a pond just outside of Lexington - it is restricted access and the owner is very particular about letting people on his property. At this pond, there were, literally, 5 shorebirds. As soon as I arrived at the pond, I spotted a small, sandpiper-like bird in the water at the far end of the pond. A quick look convinced me it was a phalarope. I texted a fellow birder who has permission to be at the pond also, and I started to work my way closer. I was able to determine it was a Red-necked Phalarope, which is a county record. While watching the phalarope do circles, we spotted a larger shorebird - a Short-billed Dowitcher (the 3rd record for the county). In addition there was a Least SP, a Semipalmated SP, and a Solitary SP. We usually see Least and Semipalms each year but never in great numbers. So, not bad f
or 5 birds.

William Leigh posted earlier that it was a big day for shorebirds a little north of Lexington, so clearly there is movement of shorebirds west of the Blue Ridge this year.

I've posted some photos on Flickr, if you are interested.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vmibiology/

Dick Rowe
VMI Biology Dept