Date: 9/9/18 5:45 am
From: <phawk254...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Update from Event at Eastern Mass Hawk Watch Meeting
HI,

We had an excellent Eastern Mass Hawk Watch annual meeting Friday night, with 130+ people attending and enjoying a great program from Dave Brinker on what is happening to the Northern Goshawk in the east. Near the end of his presentation one of the audience collapsed and hit the floor audibly. An ambulance was called immediately while several people, including an experienced surgical nurse, attended to the fallen person. First responders quickly appeared, administered several tests in the ambulance, and transported the patient to Lahey Hospital. Further tests, including a CT scan, in the hospital indicated there was nothing seriously wrong as the patient recovered strength and sense of humor. The diagnosis was "severe dehydration" but the patient was retained in ER overnight for observation and released to family on Saturday morning. (The meeting hall is air conditioned.)

Obviously, everyone is happy that there was nothing more seriously wrong than severe dehydration, but it should remind everyone how important it is to keep hydrated during this very hot, humid summer. Dave was able to finish his presentation and we quickly handed out the prizes to the many winners in the raffle.

Special thanks to Dave, Ann, Shawn and especially Ursula and to everyone else who helped respond quickly in need. I thought everyone there when the ambulance left would like to know that the person is now home and doing well.

Best,

Paul

Paul M. Roberts
Medford, MA