Date: 9/8/18 7:03 pm
From: Rick Borchelt <rborchelt...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Re: Am Golden-Plovers at Polo Fields MoCo
On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 1:08:32 PM UTC-4, Tom Kimbis wrote:
> On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 11:50:58 AM UTC-4, Linda Friedland wrote:
> > Two American
> > Golden-plovers in lovely breeding plumage foraging near Killdeer
> > at 10 a.m. Nearby- a single Pectoral Sandpiper. Thanks to Woody
> > and Rae Dubois for first reporting!
> >

> > Linda Friedland
> >
> > Montgomery Co
>
> By 11 am were up to close to 40 Killdeer with the 4 or 5 Golden Plovers, many Pectoral Sandpipers, a handful of Least Sandpipers, and two Semi-Palmated Sandpipers.

At the end of the day, around 6 pm, there were nearly 20 Pectorals and a Buff-bellied Sandpiper in addition to the 5 American Golden-plovers. Dipped on the Semi-palmateds but the birds were wary of the two hawks in the next field over and some may have departed.

Hughes Rd. polo fields, Montgomery, Maryland, US
Sep 8, 2018 4:30 PM - 7:00 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: Following leads from MDBirding about a good concentration of shorebirds on the wet polo fields, I spent the late afternoon sorting through good numbers of plovers and peeps/pipers. Cloudy, cool (low 60's), intermittent drizzle. Most birds were concentrated around flood areas of the fields closest to the low red dividing barrier. Joined Brenton Reyner, already on location and on the golden-plovers when I arrived.

13 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 4
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) 2
American Golden-Plover (Pluvialis dominica) 5 all adults still in full breeding plumage
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) X
Least Sandpiper (Calidris minutilla) 14
Buff-breasted Sandpiper (Calidris subruficollis) 1 Singleton, associating casually with somewhat smaller pectoral sandpipers. Plain warm buffy breast extending up onto cheek, short bill, light legs. Darkly scaled back. Head smaller relative to body than associated pectoral sandpipers. Overall more slender, delicate. Stands taller than associated small peeps.
Pectoral Sandpiper (Calidris melanotos) 17 Remarkably large number and probably a somewhat conservative count. Associating with more numerous killdeer but clearly delineated from other peeps by the sharp breast/belly line.
Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca) 1
Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes) 1
Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura) 2
Red-shouldered Hawk (Buteo lineatus) 2
Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris) 53