Date: 9/8/18 12:22 pm
From: Robert Furrow <robertfurrow...> [central_valley_birds] <central_valley_birds-noreply...>
Subject: [CVBirds] Brewer's Sparrow (continuing?) at Yolo Bypass, 8 Sept 2018
This morning, 8 Sept 2018, I birded the Yolo Bypass. I had heard that Todd
Easterla and Scott Hoppe found a Brewer's Sparrow on Monday, and Steve
Hampton recently tipped me off on where to look for them at the Bypass. So
I spent 1 1/2 hours slowly birding the loop around the August shorebird
fields, focusing on the brushes edges of the eastern edge, and the areas a
bit to the north. At the Northeast corner of the shorebird fields, where
the E-W path intersects a longer N-S trail, I worked through a small
sparrow flock with many Savannahs, 1 Lincoln's, and 1 BREWER'S SPARROW.
Maybe the same bird from Monday?

In that area I also noted a flyover SOLITARY SANDPIPER, giving that
dark-winged impression, with dark underwing coverts contrasting against a
white belly, and a dark back with white spots on the upperwing coverts.

No other surprises, but plenty of birds. My eBird checklist with some
extremely poor phone-scoped photos of the sparrow is here:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48367627

Happy birding,
Rob Furrow

--