Date: 9/7/18 3:12 pm
From: Scott Priebe via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] [va-bird] Conway Robinson State Forest, Pr. William Co., Double-digit warbler species, very large flock of Pine Warblers
Went to Conway Robinson this morning in hopes of locating the Red-breasted Nuthatch reported by Marc Ribaudo yesterday, didn't happen. However, there were hot and cold running migrants in several mixed "flocks", mostly along the old railroad bed trail both along the clear cut and west through the forest, mainly around the swampy area about midway between the western two cross trails. Dribs and drabs everywhere else. Along the clearcut, the highlights were two Blue-winged Warblers, and a large flock of at least 25 Pine Warblers (those close enough that I could positively ID, and possibly as high as 50, as many more were moving through the pine trees farther away from the clear cut (saw the Common Yellowthroats here). I continued west along the railroad bed through the forest. There is a little open swamp on the North side, and from here through 100 yds west, I spent an hour or more as small mixed flocks of warblers and other birds (e.g. Baltimore Oriole) moved through - anot
her 9 species of warblers on this stretch - highlight - Canada Warblers, a group of five Black-throated Green Warblers, and a bright female Cape May Warbler.

The woodpeckers were also well represented, all 6 species one can expect to see this time of year (26 individuals seen and/or heard). In the NE corner of the clear cut, I saw a pair (M & F) each of Downy and Hairy WP, and a lone female Red-bellied WP within about 10 feet of one another in the crown of a dead tree.

Scott D. Priebe
Springfield, VA

https://ebird.org/va/view/checklist/S48352335