Date: 9/6/18 7:05 pm
From: Peter Pyle <ppyle...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [NBB] feathers
Hi Diane -

A combination of time of year and wind, tidal,
and current patterns. August is the big month for
molting of seabirds. But beyond that you need
certain wind and tidal patterns to cause the
wrack to be full of feathers. The generally
fog/southwest-wind conditions is favorable. Also,
in this case, how this interacts with tides
coming out of Bolinas Lagoon and currents at the
mouth. There is of course some effect of bird
numbers as well, and the huge (10,000+ estimated
at times) number of Brown Pelicans in the lagoon
through August didn't hurt. On the other side, a
healthy proportion of these (up to 30%) have been
juveniles, which are not molting at this time of
year (or much, anyway), As usual, lots of factors,

Cheers,
Peter

At 04:42 PM 9/6/2018, Diane Hichwa <dhichwa...> [northbaybirds] wrote:

>I am writing for Shirley Mitchell, who was at Stinson Beach at the end of
>August.
>She did see bait fish and birds. But also all along the 3 mi length of
>the beach were feathers in the tideline. Handful scoops all along the
>beach. Varying kinds
>She had not seen that in 30+ years and other Stinsoners commented the same.
>
>Is it just the sheer numbers of birds in action? Time of year?
>Diane Hichwa
>
>Email: <dhichwa...>
>
>Telephone: 707-785-1922 (Sea Ranch)
>707-483-3130 (cell)
>More Tail Wagging!!! Less Barking!!
>Millie 2007

Listowners: mailto:<northbaybirds-owner...>

Turn off email delivery: mailto:<northbaybirds-nomail...>
Resume email delivery: mailto:<northbaybirds-normal...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)