Date: 9/6/18 5:52 am
From: Tim Carney <timmyc83...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Swan Creek Birdwalk 9/29/2018
Good morning,

Stan Arnold and I will be co-leading a birdwalk at Swan Creek Wetlands and Cox Creek Dredged Material Containment Facility (DMCF) on Saturday, September 29 (raindate: Sunday, September 30). The walk will be held from 7:00-11:00. It will involve extensive walking on a rock/dirt path. There is minimal shade, and we will need to cross moving water at one point. Please dress appropriately and wear sturdy footwear.

While onsite, we will look for warblers and other migratory songbirds in the conservation easement, check for rails in the wetlands, and scan the dredge cells for shorebirds and waterfowl. We will be divided into two groups of roughly 20 participants each. One group will visit the wetlands while the other checks for shorebirds, and then the groups will switch. Both groups will see the same areas of the site.

A major construction project is underway at the site, so we may not be able to walk around the DMCF. I do not think the parking area will be affected, so we should still be able to scan for shorebirds from the flagpole like we usually do.

The walk is limited to 40 participants. You may reserve two spots. Please provide a name and email address for each participant. I will also create a waiting list if we exceed 40 responses. The walk will be canceled if there is rain/high winds on both of the selected dates.

This walk is offered by Maryland Environmental Service (MES) on behalf of Maryland Department of Transportation Maryland Port Administration (MDOT MPA).

Please email tcarn [at] menv [dot] com if you would like to sign up.

Thanks,
Tim Carney