Date: 9/4/18 8:13 pm
From: John and Glennah Trochet <trochetj...> [central_valley_birds] <central_valley_birds-noreply...>
Subject: [CVBirds] upcoming bird surveys at Cosumnes; recent CRP birds
Dear Birders,

This coming Saturday at the Cosumnes River Preserve in southern Sacramento
County, Jim Rowoth will lead a bird survey of the River Walk. This trail
is a terrific sampler of the habitats of the lower preserve and so usually
produces a nice list of birds. The posted starting hour on the website (
www.cosumnes.org) is currently 05:45. That seems a bit early, so check the
meeting time for any changes later this week. The website still requests
that you sign up in advance for this survey. So click on the survey on the
website's list of upcoming events and then again on the orange bar at the
bottom of the tour description.

The following Saturday, 15 September, this month's Tall Forest bird survey
will take place. We will depart through the locked Farm Center gate,
corner of Bruceville and Desmond Roads, promptly at 06:15. A description
of the survey is on the preserve's website, but advance sign up seems no
longer requested.

This past weekend I visited the preserve all three days. While I found no
rarities to rival the recent finds in Yolo County, I did have some
enjoyable birding. Woodland birding was slow until yesterday (until then
everyone else seems to have been finding many more migrant songbirds than
I), but at the little water put out recently (none yet publicly accessible)
the show of waterfowl and shorebirds was quite good. All the regular
puddle ducks save Eurasian wigeon are in, most in very decent numbers for
so early. There were also eight ring-necked ducks. But it was the
shorebirds that took high honors. I found 15 species the last two days.
Better birds included black-bellied plover, Baird's sandpiper, pectoral
sandpiper, short-billed dowitcher and solitary sandpiper. And finally
yesterday I had a very decent day with passerine migrants. Best were two
hybrid Townsend's x hermit warblers.

Best,
John Trochet
Sacramento