Date: 9/4/18 5:17 pm
From: <blafley...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Barn Swallows in Hadley
Anthony,

Thanks for your comments and information. I do have one question for the group, is there evidence that the decline of Barn Swallows is related to a loss of nesting habitat? I have a couple local places I bird that have had nesting Barn Swallows in the past but have disappeared in recent years even though the barn and surrounding habitat have not changed. Preserving an old barn is certainly an admirable pursuit (mine dates to the 1700s) but are there other more important factors contributing to the decline of the Swallows.

Bill Lafley
New Salem
<blafley...>

> On Sep 1, 2018, at 8:21 PM, Anthony Hill <anhinga13...> wrote:
>
> Hello -
>
> I share Mara Silver's concern about the fate of the nesting Barn
> Swallows at the Fort River refuge in Hadley. I also think it's important
> to keep in mind that the management of the Conte Refuge is being
> assailed by severe budgetary constraints affecting both infrastructure
> and staff, due in no small part to the philosophy of the current
> administration in Washington, especially the Secretary of the Interior.
> In the referenced article (link below) in the Daily Hampshire Gazette
> the management of the Refuge has presented five options, one of which
> does in fact involve taking down the barn where the Barn Swallows have
> been nesting. Demolition of the building is not the only option listed,
> and the comment period should be seen as a way for concerned citizens
> such as this community to voice our opinions on each proposal on the list.
>
> https://www.gazettenet.com/Ideas-sought-for-stables-building-at-Hadley-
> refuge-19798031
>
> Thank you.
>
> Anthony Hill
> S. Hadley, MA
>
> Anthony Hill
> Certified Trainer, Passerines and Hummingbirds
> Co-Chair, Certification Committee
> North American Banding Council (http://www.nabanding.net)
> Coordinator, Appledore Island Migration Station
>
> | Préservons l'environnement - Avez-vous réellement besoin d'imprimer ce
> courriel ? |
> | Please consider the environment - Do you really need to print this
> e-mail? |
> | Piense en verde - Antes de imprimir este email hágase la siguiente
> pregunta, ¿es necesario? |
> ** BUY TWO duck stamps at the Post Office and conserve habitat **

Join us on Facebook!