Date: 9/4/18 4:02 am
From: Tim Carney <timmyc83...>
Subject: [MDBirding] **SWAN CREEK IS CLOSED TO BIRDERS -- PLEASE READ**
To everyone,

Effective immediately, Swan Creek/Cox Creek in Anne Arundel County will be closed to birders and geocachers due to construction on the DMCF. The below message is posted on behalf of Maryland Department of Transportation Maryland Port Administration (MDOT MPA) and Maryland Environmental Service (MES).

--

Dear Birding Enthusiasts,
Starting immediately, public access to the Cox Creek Dredged Material Containment Facility and Swan Creek Wetlands are strictly prohibited, due to the start of construction of the Cox Creek expansion project. This restriction is being put in place for your safety and well-being as heavy equipment will be mobilizing on the site during normal operating hours, Monday - Friday. The only exceptions are pre-arranged guided bird walks scheduled on weekends only, while construction activities are halted, and under the supervision of an approved guide. The guided tours will be restricted to the Swan Creek Wetlands only and will not be allowed on or around the DMCF dikes during the construction period.

Construction and elevation of the dikes is expected to last until 2025, based on the current schedule. However, we are working to identify alternative access options to the wetlands area during the construction period and will keep you informed when the area becomes accessible to the public. In the meantime, we hope you will visit one of our other local popular birding sites, Masonville Cove (www.masonvillecove.org).

Please let us know if you have any questions. Thank you for your understanding.

Katrina Y. Jones
Outreach Coordinator for Harbor Development
Maryland Port Administration
401 E. Pratt Street, Suite 1900
Baltimore, MD 21202
Phone: 410-385-4438